One of my biggest gripes about healthy living is that it has the potential to be so darn expensive – especially if I choose not to bargain shop.
But I don’t shop that way. I do buy healthy personal care products – and I do it while sticking to a budget. (You can read my Top 3 thrifty tips here.)
So how can you make sure you’re making wise choices when it comes to personal care products?
1. Know what you’re using.
First of all, know if your current products are safe. If you’re not sure, I have the perfect help for you! Take Accidentally Green’s:
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Dental Care Challenge
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Shampoo Challenge
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Triclosan Challenge
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Deodorant Challenge
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Fragrance Challenge
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Mascara and Eyeliner Challenge
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Cosmetic Challenge
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle Lip Challenge
After completing the challenges, you’ll know what products are safe – and which ones you need to replace.
2. Decide the best match for you.
Do you like to make your own products, or buy ready-made products from the store?
If you prefer to buy personal care products, decide which safe brands you’d like to try. (Skin Deep is very helpful with this step!) Then, if you’re under budget constraints, buy one new product a paycheck – or one a month. Watch for sales, but if you can’t find deals at your local stores, check out Vitacost!
To read more about choosing safe products, browse posts in Accidentally Green’s archives, including:
- Navigating the Toothpaste Aisle
- Bubbling with Good and Bad Shampoo News
- Finding Safe Styling Products May Be Easier Than You Think
- What’s the Big Deal About Fragrance? Part 1 and Part 2
- Safer Foundation Solutions
- Choosing Safe Eyeliner May Be Simpler Than You Think
- How to Avoid Toxic Mascara
- All in Favor, Say Aye to Safe Eye Shadows
- Adding a Healthy Glow with Blush
- Avoiding Hazardous Facial Powders
- Avoiding Toxic Lipsticks
- Choosing Between Safe and Unsafe Lip Balms
If you’d like to make your own, find recipes you’d like to try. You can:
- Scour the Internet for ideas,
- Check recipes on Accidentally Green,
- Gather ideas on your own Pinterest board, or
- Find some in the DIY Ultimate Bundle. (Today’s the last day of the sale!)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Homemade Personal Care Products by Shaina Olmanson.
- DIY Organic Beauty Recipes by Heather Dessinger.
- Natural Beauty Guide by Wellness Mama.
- Make & Sell Your Own Skin Products by Kelly Crawford.
If you’re concerned about your budget, set a limit on the amount you’re willing to spend on personal care products – and then shop around. (Or start whipping things up in your kitchen!)
How do you manage to find healthy personal care products on a budget?
Disclosure: Purchasing items through links in this post will result in a commission for Accidentally Green. Thank you for supporting this website!
Latest posts by Hilary Kimes Bernstein (see all)
- The Day I Realized Healthy Choices Don’t Guarantee Health - July 21, 2015
- Avoid Synthetic Bug Sprays with All-Natural Repellents - July 16, 2015
- The Day I Learned I Could Cook Real Food - July 13, 2015